CSIRO AND ENERGY INSPECTION SIGN DEAL TO DEVELOP NEW 3rd GENERATION “CARBON EMISSIONS MEASUREMENT TOOL” (CEMT) FOR EXISTING DWELLINGS
EI believes that anthropogenic climate change represents a significant threat to the existence and prosperity of human society. The 2015 United Nations Paris Climate Conference (COP21) meeting agreement, to seek to limit the increase in global temperature to 1.5-2.0 deg C, places considerable onus on the Victorian and other state and federal governments to shift the focus from energy efficiency to carbon abatement in homes over the next few years.
With carbon abatement in residential buildings being shown to provide the highest return on investment for any category of carbon abatement investment, regulators will need improved carbon emissions measurement and reporting tools that (preferably) incorporate NatHERS functionality. To this end EI and the CSIRO recently executed an agreement to jointly develop and deploy a new “Carbon Emissions Measurement Tool” (CEMT) for the existing residential building sector. It is planned that this tool will include both the existing NatHERS rating protocol rules and also an extended set of logic to measure carbon abatement. Thereby creating a transition plan into the future for the residential assessment industry.
EI envisages the following benefits for assessors, government(s) and the community:
- Assessors will be able to use the CEMT to not only model new building thermal performance but also to predict the energy bill and the carbon emissions of a particular dwelling during the design phase. Note: The current NatHERS thermal rating will be incorporated into the CEMT as a “subset rating”; thus enabling earlier ratings to be directly correlated with new “whole-of-building” ratings.
- EI estimates that the future expansion of residential building mandatory disclosure legislation to the states (beyond the ACT), together with proposed new mandatory carbon abatement upgrade measures to be implemented prior to sale (or lease) and leveraging existing Energy Efficiency Obligation schemes such as the VEET scheme and the NSW ESS, would create more than 1,600 new on-site residential building mandatory disclosure assessor jobs, and 10,000 new energy efficiency/solar PV/battery storage installation/supplier jobs Australia-wide.
BERS PRO SOFTWARE
15th November 2019
New Release - BERS Pro v184.108.40.206 (3.21) for compliance with NCC 2019 and includes the following updates
As requested by the NatHERS Administrator:
- Integrated with version 3.21 of the Chenath engine (includes waffle pods, double-height zones, common glazing areas, underground carpark).
- Heating and cooling cap warning.
As requested by Assessors:
- Ability to model Roof Windows.
- Enhanced windows search.
- Updated penetration entry fields
- Ability to enter penetrations count via keys
- Improved AirFlow data entry
- New Windows File Updated October 2019
- Insulated garage door
- Limestone veneer
A new licence will not be required for currently licensed users.
8th November 2019
Updated Release - BERS Pro v220.127.116.11f (3.13)
NatHERS Custom Windows Update
The new BERS Pro v4.3 release has all the current window libraries. You will need to install this latest version to ensure that you can continue to run simulations as the current custom windows library will expire on 15 November 2019.
A new licence will not be required for currently licensed users.
16 June 2017
NatHERS Custom Windows Update
The latest BERS Pro v4.3 release has all the latest window libraries. You will need to install this latest version to ensure that you can continue to run simulations beyond 15th June 2017.
The updated installer for general release is available from the Energy Inspection website by clicking HERE. Download instructions are on the Software Downloads page. A new licence installation will not be required for currently licensed users.
New Feature: Variable slab thickness functionality change
Assessors will now be able to adjust the concrete thickness for slab-on-ground and suspended slab constructions. For more information please review the BERS Pro Variable Slab Thickness Functionality explanation document by clicking HERE.
Bug Fix Update
1. Some assessments have been found to have a difference of internal wall area between adjoining zones. The software now automatically recalculates the internal areas before running the simulation.
2. We have also resolved a failure-to-simulate bug that didn’t allow the selection of a reflective air gap insulation to be applied to other floor constructions, if a waffle pod construction was used on level 1.
The Energy Inspection Resources webpage has recently been updated. To review the updates, access the webpage from HERE.
We are committed to providing a secure website and other cloud platform services and as such, Energy Inspection together with our software providers, are upgrading our security protocols. It is advised that you upgrade to the following certified browsers or above:
- Apple Safari 4 - 9 (Apple Mac OS)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11 (32 bit)
- Google Chrome 47
- Mozilla Firefox 42
If you do not have a certified browser, you will need to upgrade as older browsers may stop being supported or working with our applications in the near future.
1 February 2017
A new version of BERS Pro is now ready for download:
BERS Pro v18.104.22.168 (3.13) is now available to download. This release marks the end of the full and formal accreditation of BERS Pro 4.3.0.X by the NatHERS administrator. The new installer for general release is available from the Energy Inspection (EI) website by clicking HERE. Download instructions are on the Software Downloads page. A new licence will not be required for existing users licensed through 30 April 2017.
The following issues have been addressed in v22.214.171.124 (3.13):
1. Full modelling of reflective air gaps within a sub-floor. Historically BERS has not accurately modelled the heat affects from both a top down and bottom up perspective. The changes required to match Accurate have been significant and have required exhaustive testing of the possible permutations and combinations of sub-floor as part of the overall modelling of a dwelling. We now believe a dwelling modelled in BERS Pro, where foils are included, will produce results in alignment with AccuRate. This change has no impact on you as a user of BERS Pro.
2. Late in December AVG virus software started incorrectly identifying our licencing software as a Trojan virus. This has now been corrected.
The following transitional arrangements have been agreed:
A transitional period has been agreed with the NatHERS Administrator where BES Pro v126.96.36.199a (3.13) and BERS Pro v188.8.131.52 (3.13) will both be accredited for use for a period of two months ending 31 March 2017. During this time both versions will be available to download from the EI website SOFTWARE DOWNLOADS page.
Two weeks prior to the 31 March 2017, a notification will be sent by EI to remind all BERS Pro users to complete transitioning to BERS Pro v184.108.40.206 (3.13). Please note that after the 31 March 2017, the previous version will not be available to download. Any H-star coupons purchased after the 31st March will only be valid for use with BERS Pro v220.127.116.11 (3.13). This is to help ensure the most current version is in use. Any coupons already credited to the H-star portal will continue to be valid for both versions.
9 June 2016
NatHERS Default and Custom Windows
We thought the included article (from Michael Plunkett of SmartRate) which appeared in BDAV News, June 2016 (the official journal of the Building Designers Association of Victoria) would be of interest to all our Assessors. Click HERE to download.
It provides some useful background to the use of windows and how best to use the window libraries now available in BERS Pro v4.3.
The issues resolved in the latest release are detailed below:
A new installer for general release is available from the Energy Inspection website by clicking HERE.
Simulation related fix:
- Removed warning for "There is a wall less than 300mm that may cause errors when simulating". We have removed this warning, but the 150mm wall length error message remains. As highlighted previously this was also an issue within BERS Pro v4.2, and Assessors have been trained to work around this scenario.
House design related fixes:
- For Party wall Copy/Paste the images are now updated on the paste. Previously we had enabled this feature, but the visuals weren’t updating.
- Now able to simulate with Rylock window. This was due to the length of the description field. This has now been extended.
- The issue with the incorrect thickness being displayed for a second level has been corrected.
Universal Certificate related fixes:
- Ceiling Type for multi-storey dwellings the "Roof space above" was appearing "Yes" incorrectly. Now if there is a Common Area to zones above being the entire lower zone area then ensure "No" for Roof above.
- Changes for Fixed Shading were incorrectly being applied. We have removed this process to align with current AccuRate functionality.
- Further enhancement to the handling of the five special XML characters.
- The Additional Comments from the Project Details comments are now appearing on the Certificate. Text from the comments field will be presented on the Universal Certificate without any formatting.
- Roof type insulation now has the correct R value being displayed in all cases.
Building Details Report related fixes:
- Corrected calculation for split external wall area where the total upper part is now being calculated correctly, previously this was using the lower part again.
- Corrected calculation for external floor area summary where there is a secondary area specified, previously this 2nd area was not being deducted for 1st level.
15 April 2016
We are pleased to advise that the NatHERS Administrator has granted Energy Inspection accreditation of BERS Pro v18.104.22.168 (3.13) from 1 May 2016.
You should also note that the current short term accreditation for BERS Pro 4.2.11081 expires on 30 April 2016. Existing BERS Pro 4.2.11081 licences expire on the 1st May 2016 and cannot be extended.
Please refer to the NatHERS website for details:
Please note that the BERS Pro v22.214.171.124 (3.13) software will be available for download from the Energy Inspection site on Tuesday, 26th April 2016. The price for the software (as previously advised) will be $440 including GST. This price includes twenty (20) “free” Universal Certificates.
As you are aware you will need to have successfully completed the Mandatory Induction Package (MIP) before Energy Inspection can issue you with a licence key for the new BERS Pro v126.96.36.199 (3.13) software.
31 August 2018
Release of AccuRate Sustainability Tool V188.8.131.52 (Service Pack 4)
We are pleased to announce that Dr. Zhengdong Chen and the CSIRO Energy Team have released AccuRate Sustainability Tool V184.108.40.206 (Service Pack 4). This is now available from the Energy Inspection website for current AccuRate users to download and install.
1. AccuRate Sustainability v 220.127.116.11 SP4 has implemented an Energy Chart page for displaying the percentage of heating, cooling and total energy requirement for each zone in the dwelling. This is to facilitate the design optimisation process
1. The engine crashes in AccuRate Sustainability V18.104.22.168 SP3 due to a truncate issue when the internal wall opening size is large which causes the opening height to be larger than the zone ceiling height.
2. Glazing construction colour was being over-written when window libraries were updated in AccuRate Sustainability V22.214.171.124 SP3.
3.Insect screens on external walls in new buildings are not automatically selected by switching AccuRate from non-rating to rating mode. This bug is now fixed.
4. There was a bug in in AccuRate Sustainability V126.96.36.199 SP3 when roof window opening type written to the file causes inaccuracy in the simulation. This bug fix can affect star rating slightly when roof window(s) are used in the design.
5. The roof window area was not deducted from the roof area in AccuRate Sustainability v188.8.131.52 SP3 when writing to the scratch file which causes inaccuracy in the simulation. This bug fix can affect star rating slightly when roof window(s) are used in the design.
1. Window & roof window System, Glass & Frame U-values display has changed to one decimal place. This improvement was requested by the Australian Fenestration Rating Council (AFRC). This improvement only affects display. It does not affect Chenath engine simulation and star rating.
2. Implemented delayed submission of zip files to the HStar portal. With AccuRate Sustainability v184.108.40.206 SP4, users can run the simulations first and submit the zip files to the HStar portal later. This is convenient for users who may have no internet access at the time of assessment or who wants to submit a number of assessments such as apartment to the HStar portal at the same time.
3. In AccuRate Sustainability V220.127.116.11 SP4, users can enter any insulation level from R0 – R5 for slab edge insulation.
4. In order to provide better support to users, AccuRate Sustainability v18.104.22.168 SP4 collects the information about the number of Chenath engine runs.
1. In AccuRate Sustainability V22.214.171.124 SP4, a number of postcode climate zone mappings have been updated based on the instructions from NatHERS administrator.
To download now, click HERE and follow the instructions on the Energy Inspection website.
NOTE: If you are upgrading from Service Pack 3 (SP3) to Service Pack 4 (SP4) you will be prompted by the AccuRate Installer to uninstall the previous version. Ensure that you complete this step through Apps & Features or Control Panel|All Control Panel Items|Programs and Features in Windows.
If you have retained your previously issued unlock code for SP3 and the machine is unchanged, this will still be valid for SP4. Otherwise to receive an unlock code, complete the form on the following page: http://www.energyinspection.com.au/register/. Please allow up to one business to receive the code.
Detailed Instructions for AccuRate Sustainability V126.96.36.199 SP4 are provided by CSIRO and included HERE.
1 July, 2015
Energy Inspection became the new distributor for all AccuRate software, licencing and certificate generation needs.
We're here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact us about your enquiries and renewals at email@example.com